We are getting ready to paint our bedroom (actually my mother is getting ready to paint our bedroom). So we are looking at paint swatches and such. With all of the different hues and tones sometimes it seems almost impossible to get a perfect match. But, particularly in the bright natural light, that is precisely what is needed. A perfect match.
Painting a room is in the grand scheme of things of very little consequence. What the apostle Paul deals with in Romans 3, however, is of very substantial consequence. Here he thoroughly lays out the human dilemma, the human need.
- vs 10 – we are not righteous
- vs 11 – we are without understanding
- vs 11 – we do not seek God
- vs 12 – we are worthless
- vs 12 – we do not do good
- vs 13 – our words are death
- vs 13 – we speak lies
- vs 13 – our speech poisons
- vs 14 – we curse and are bitter
- vs 15 – we steal life
- vs 16 – our road is ruin and misery
- vs 17 – we do not know peace
That’s pretty bleak, not a very nice colour, as it were. And it is into this desperate situation that God brings a perfect match to our misery. God’s grace is always supplied in the colour our experience needs. And it is with our fundamental need of righteousness that God supplies all our needs (and more!) in his Son Jesus. Consider how Jesus is exactly who we need.
- vs 10 – we are not righteous – he is the righteous one
- vs 11 – we are without understanding – he knows all things
- vs 11 – we do not seek God – he is God seeking us
- vs 12 – we are worthless – he is of infinite value
- vs 12 – we do not do good – he always does good
- vs 13 – our words are death – his word gives life
- vs 13 – we speak lies – he speaks truth
- vs 13 – our speech poisons – his speech heals
- vs 14 – we curse and are bitter – he blesses
- vs 15 – we steal life – he gives life
- vs 16 – our road is ruin and misery – he brings victory and joy
- vs 17 – we do not know peace – he makes us at peace with God
Praise God for the righteousness of God that is through faith in Jesus Christ.