David Jackman’s 10 steps:
1. Get rid of the idea that we have to make the text relevant.
2. Do the hard work on what the text means.
3. Make sure the original context determines your contemporary application.
4. Set the passage in its wider biblical and theological context.
5. Focus your understanding and purpose in key sentences.
6. Develop a clear and coherent presentation.
7. Study your congregation.
8. Apply the truth to the whole person.
9. Make your language count.
10. Pray for the Holy Spirit to blow his life-giving breath through it all.